By expert horsewoman Debbie Burgermeister, international Author of Giddy Up Beginner Books.
The very basics you need to know:
- WHOA HORSE LOVERS!
- The Basics You Need to Know About Horses
- HOW TO RIDE A HORSE
- Riding Lessons for Beginners Workbook to guide you along your horseriding pathway with step by step modules when learning to ride
- With a bonus development guide for parents.
- ARE YOU READY FOR YOUR FIRST HORSE?
- An experts guide to preparing you when looking for that beginners horse 4 sale.
- Essential cheat sheet summaries to the very basics in Horse Care, Riding and Owning a Horse
- LIFE OF AN AUSSIE HORSE GIRL
- Farm life resilience, responsibility and the freedom of horses
- Growing up in rural South Australia and New South Wales
- Skills to handle life challenges through school, work and family life
- The Magic of horses to enjoy life, make amazing friendships and have wonderful memories
STEP BY STEP – ARE YOU READY TO RIDE?
Most importantly, get assistance from an experienced horse person/coach
1. Handle Horses
- Have Horse Sense: understand horse body language to approach and manage your horse
- Know Horse Body Parts and Saddlery parts
- Prepare your horse properly to ensure a good ride
- Choose an appropriate horse for the chosen activity
- Horse is cared for properly so feed type and quantity is suitable for the horse and rider
- Have the right equipment to catch with a halter and lead, tie with the correct knot and control the horse for a happy and successful relationship between horse and rider
- Grooming and First Aid gear required
- Safe and good fitting saddle cloth, saddle and bridle
- Protective riding gear such as helmet, boots, long pants and when starting maybe a safety vest
- For beginner riding gear check out the essentials here: https://horseridergear.com.au/
3. Horse Safety
- Handle your horse safely and confidently from the ground up
- Choose the best environment for horse and rider to have a positive experience
- Checking the girth and adjusting stirrups
- Getting on and off carefully
- Being able to hold the reins correctly
- Good control, knowing how to move, turn and stop
- How to handle things if something goes wrong
4. Horse Riding Skills
- Ground and Riding exercises to improve strength and balance required for riding
- Receive guidance from a highly experienced horse person
- Be prepared to learn how to communicate with a horse for a good ride
- Patience and practice is very important as you generally blame yourself but not your horse for the riding experience
- Straight line, movements and circles with body language, voice commands, hand and leg signals (aids)
- Learn to change pace and transition between walk, sit trot, rise trot, canter and gallop
- Understand and ride with correct trot and canter diagonals
- Learn different equine disciplines and experience an endless learning pathway
5. Get Educated
- Check out our Educatoin Pack
- Read books
- Watch video
- Watch specialised Horse TV channels
- Development programs and courses for all ages and levels throughout your horse journey
6. Owning A Horse
- Have the knowledge of different horse ages and breeds before even thinking about owning a horse
- Know how to care for a horse (paddocks, stables, feeding, managing behaviours, health issues that can occur, first aid kit)
- Understand good horsemanship and how to train a horse to keep a well behaved horse on the ground and that is enjoyable to ride.
- A horse that is suitable and trained for your equine discipline
7. Horse and Life Skills from a student
- Powerful heart warming reading at: /horse-general-knowledge/a-thankyou-letter-from-my-student-helper-employee/
To receive a free copy of your “Must Read Guide for Parents of Horse Lovers” – what to expect to learn with your horse riding journey and a real life story from the heart.
Go to /contact/
Start learning with your first Giddy Up Beginner Books – How To Ride A Horse workbook. Buy now https://horseridergear.com.au/collections/giddy-up-beginner-books